Do your chickens eat cracked corn in scratch?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by K-12 Chickens, Dec 1, 2011.

1. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    My chickens hardly ever eat the corn in scratch. Sometimes they'll eat a piece or two but otherwise it is never touched. Just wondering of anyone else's chickens don't eat cracked corn either.

2. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Mine love the corn, wheat and whatever else they put in it, but they refuse to eat the oats!

3. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    It'sa m must in northern michigan.
    keeps em' warm! [​IMG]

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I add a little corn to their crumbles, they hunt those bits out first and eat the crumbles after...

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they don't eat the corn, stop buying the scratch and buy whatever it is that they will eat. It'll be cheaper to buy whole wheat than to buy scratch and throw half of it away.

I don't feed scratch because it is nothing but a treat and I feed other things for treats, but I sure wouldn't be paying money for something they refuse to eat.

6. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine love the scratch, although I read that they didnt like the millet in it. Mine eat all the grains, then finally eat the supplemental higher protien layer feed.
    Not all scratch is the same, so you might want to check into another supplier.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I buy horse sweetfeed instead of scratch-much healthier!

8. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    mine eat corn

9. Evie_W

Evie_W Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2011
    Mine love the corn in their scratch! They pick it out first, then the millet, then the barley and finally the wheat. Funny picky little girls!

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yes they do...

Our girls do not get enough treats to get picky and there are enough birds that someone always likes anything thrown to them and after that everyone wants some....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by