Do your chickens eat feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovemychix, Oct 20, 2008.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    My hens eat feathers that are lost....gobble them right up. What the heck? I'm new at "chicken farming" [​IMG] but I find this just crazy. Please tell me I have wierd hens. [​IMG]

2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I just posted the same question!!! I have never seen chickens eat feathers before. Hopefully we will get our answer. I wonder if they digest the feathers??

3. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I saw that...I had to make sure it wasn't my post. It's crazy behavior but maybe it's normal...[​IMG] They have been doing it for some time and they seem ok. [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's normal. Somemtimes it is a sign of needing more protein, but as long as they aren't attacking each other for feathers, they should be fine.

5. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    I've noticed some of my younger ones playing with and sometimes eating feathers. I've not noticed any of the older ones doing this. When your young I guess you get bored easily.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Once in awhile I will see one of my birds eat a feather, but they get a lot of treats and free choice including bugs.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Its a lack of somthing in there diet, Try giving them some black oil sunflower seeds.... See if that helps..... Mine were doing this also and it seemed to work for me (they still eat some just not as many as they were) I mostly see them do it after the roos does his job they will all run over and see if any feathers fell off !!!!

8. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    They get lots of treat...of course it never seems enough!! [​IMG]

9. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Quote:What kind of feed has protein in it? I feed mine a mix of laying mash, game bird feed, cracked corn, sweet feed for horses. The game bird feed has a little bit of everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by