Do your chickens enjoy snow 0.0?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TreeFever, Dec 31, 2008.

1. TreeFever

TreeFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    MA
    Mine will have nothing to do with it!!
    They only come out during thaws haha
    Otherwise they just chill out in the coop and wait.
    Do we have any snow romping birds out there?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine haven't experienced snow yet, thank goodness!
    They were however outside playing in the ice storm a couple of weeks ago. They acted like it was no big deal.

3. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Mine love it for about 30 min then they head back to their warm coop. I had made a tarp tent that they could go under if they wanted to .... well half of it became a little slope of ice they were jumping on it and sliding down! They did that for about 15 min. it was so cute!

4. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    If it is sunny out they don't seem to care too much if there is snow on the ground. But the first day it they had to deal with snow it was just funny. They looked out of the house and turned ight around and went back in. They were so funny to watch!

5. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Mine are big chickens! They do not like the snow. They will stay in the coop all day with no food rather than go three feet down a snowy ramp and then two feet in snow to get under the coop where the food and water are. Today, I let them out into the yard, and while they were out there, it started snowing. My EE stood motionless, afraid to move in the snow. It was so ridiculous. Finally, when there was about 1/2 inch on the ground, they all headed back into the coop (at NOON!).

6. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Mine will not go out in it. I gave up opening the coop door for them. Now the door is completely buried by snow.

7. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Mine would rather be out in the snow [​IMG] but underneath the picnic table [​IMG]

Their home is not good enough to stay in all day, picky birds.

8. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    One of mine loved it, one of mine hated it, and the other was right in the middle coming out sometimes to play and retreating back to the coop fairly fast.

They, on the other hand, did NOT appreciate the 1/2in layer of ice that covered our snow. After they experienced Bambi on Ice they no longer came out of the coop unless I shoveled their run.

HA! [​IMG]

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine hated it to begin with, but now they are fine with it. They come out even if it's a foot deep.

10. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:Try 47 inches deep here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by