1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do your chickens have preferred spots on their roosts?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daisy8s, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    When I first put my new pullets in their new coop over a year ago they each seemed to choose their favorite spot on the roost. Most nights each bird was in her spot--it was rare that they got shuffled around.

Now, however, they're in a different spot every night. Sometimes they'll all jam themselves on the top roost and other times one or two will be on the lower roost. Sometimes sworn enemies will end up roosting right next to each other.

And, whereas they used to all face in the same direction now there's usually at least one facing in the opposite direction. I wonder if the more picked on hens intentionally face the opposite direction so they can't be pecked on the head during the coming-to-roost process when there's quite a bit of squabbling?

I'm curious. Do your chickens always roost in the same spot or do they mix it up? And, do all your chickens face the same direction or are some facing in the opposite direction? I'm particularly curious about roosters--do they take the top roost as the choice location for those at the top of the pecking order or do they roost lower down to be a first line of defense if anything entered the coop?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine nest all over with not much rhyme or reason other than the more dominant one get a higher position, although sometimes my Silkie get up top.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The Bar likes to roost front and center, as in my avatar. The hens seem to change spots. They don't usually faced the back wall.

4. rapturecidal

rapturecidal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Yucaipa Ca
    in their old cage it only had one layer so they didn't really have many choices other than direction, because i only had 1 perch in it. and Pedro only had 1 girl before i gave her away trying to get her to be someones dinner because she wouldn't lay eggs.

so when i got this coop built for them with several layers for them to sleep on and several nests and everything, it turned out it didn't matter.

they all sleep together and facing the same dirrection too. on the top perch. the only time they don't is when there on the eggs. and 3 of my hens take turns doing that.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  5. rapturecidal

rapturecidal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Yucaipa Ca
    wow that is old that was back in my old house, back when i only had one kind of chicken, and back when they still lived in a cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by