Do your chickens like bugs/insects?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Momagain1, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    we throw bugs in there and they run away from them or look at them//us then walk away...

??? they've been outside for a couple months now w/bugs etc..but they wont touch them..

I wanna get them crickets..but am afraid I'd just make a cricket home in my backyard as they may not eat them..

they DONT like the dried mealworms...
    dont touch spiders...

now worms they liked,....

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

try live mealworms. mine don't like spiders

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    my babys hate meal worms that are dried. they walk away, but man you give them live crickets, grass hoppers or meal worms ( live) they go nuts! try living bugs, mine hate spiders to .

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    i read where worms can give them worms in there gut, is this true?? I have done worms only one time as I do not worm infested chickens! we only do meal worms .

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    We put a big ugly looking bug in the run with the chicks just a few days ago and they all sat and stared at it until it started moving and then they all went NUTS over it...LOL It was pretty funny! Mine eat all bugs...even spiders. They have only been outside for just over a week (they are 4 weeks old today).

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, yes, mine love bugs - ESPECIALLY earwigs! Om nom nom!!!!

But they don't like rolli-polli bugs. Darn it.

Spiders, yup. Bees, yup. Ants, well, so-so. Moths? Yup. Flies? Yes.

And LIVE mealworms, oh you betcha! (I, on the other hand, can't stand to touch 'em, so I use a fork to lift them out of the wheat meal to drop them onto the ground for the chickens. Or into the brooder, for chicks.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    I have a friend who's chickens go nuts when they see her caring a paper bag b/c they know it has crickets inside. I have yet to try it. Mine LOVE worms.

8. Carter57

Carter57 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    mine love them. if a wasp of incect comes close they are gone. When they were in the brooder i would pick up incests and feed them to them..
    Have thought about putting a light in the pen to draw incest in.

9. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Mine love crickets and mealworms. They play a game of keep away and then tackle.

10. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    If theyre not used to you feeding them bugs, which it sounds like they arent, theyre probably freaked out by you making the "throw the insect in the run motion" and arent comfortable to peck and look for bugs..... theyll get used to it eventually... or maybe try to do it more covertly.... chickens are weird...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by