Do your chickens "play in the rain"??!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Yard full o' rocks, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    The past 2 days we have gotten flooding rains. Over 3" yesterday and several storms again today. My laying flock is free ranging during the day and just stays out in it. They have access to the coop, but chose to stay out in the flood, the thunder, the lightning....like nothing really matters.

They are REALLY a sight all soaking wet!!

Goofy chickens.....

2. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Yup... they do.

Dont have any idea why...but they will sit there, in the rain, until *I* come out and yell at them to go inside where it is dry. And of course, I am soaking wet by then and the birds are drying off....

I swear cant win at times lol

3. I think the entire flock went to roost wet last night.

Today, yep, they are out there agian.

4. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    Especially my Silky. Her hair does some crazy things when she's soaking wet.

I try to get her in the house but she rather play in the rain.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yard full o' rocks :

The past 2 days we have gotten flooding rains. Over 3" yesterday and several storms again today. My laying flock is free ranging during the day and just stays out in it. They have access to the coop, but chose to stay out in the flood, the thunder, the lightning....like nothing really matters.

They are REALLY a sight all soaking wet!!

Goofy chickens.....

Lucky you! We haven't had a drop all September. We actually broke some records for longest consecutive days in September.

But to answer your question, yes. As long as it's not raining super hard and not "storming" out.​

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Nope. I have a bunch of princesses. They hate getting wet, especially their feet. [​IMG]

7. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Not a chance! No way! When it rains they go into hysterics like the sky is falling. Maybe it's because of the 2 walnut sized hail storms that we had a couple of months back. I hope they get over it soon, as it does rain here a lot. They are such sweeties!

8. backyardchick

backyardchick New Egg

Sep 2, 2009
    Central New York
    My chickens have been out the past 2 days in the soaking rain. I wondered if they were crazy. But I guess they aren't the only ones![​IMG]

9. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    The big girls stay inside & my silkies go out & get really, really muddy. Uck.

10. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Yep, my chickens seem to enjoy the rain, they head for cover (not in the coop) when it down pours but are right back out when it lets up. Soft dirt makes for finding juicy bugs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by