Do your chickens roost in your eaves?

taprock

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 1, 2010
Northern L.P. Michigan
My chickens are making me crazy. They love to roost in the eaves and of course poop there where it is impossible to clean. I want to close them off so they can't get up there but my eaves all have a two inch space for ventilation and I don't want them totally closed. Has anyone had to deal with chickens in the eaves? Any great solutions?

During the day? I don't think my chickens are still for a minute during the day. Do they go in a coop at night? One person on here has a signature that says "Then God said to the chicken... go forth and poop on everything." It cracks me up and pretty much says it all. Chickens are messy. I have no issues with my eves, though. Just every other surface of 3 acres.

At work, we had to put some sticky caulk type of stuff on our awning to deter pigeons. They don't like to get their feet sticky. Maybe something like that would work. Or a big decoy of some sort up there?

Hi, Yes I have two little Seabrights my wife got me that refuse to roost with the big girls and fly up to the top wall plate and roost between the rafters. Plan to fasten some hardware cloth between all of the rafters to stop them from having access.
Erik

My Icelandics like to be as high as they can get, so that means the rafters of their current coop. If you don't want them up there your only option is probably to cover it. Like Erik says, some hardware cloth, or even chicken wire, will allow airflow. Good Luck

They roost at night up there. I put up netting to keep them out. They tore it out. I put up chicken wire. They bent it so they could sneak in behind it. At least they are good at sneaking in and not out.

You mean like this?

67489_silly_bird.jpg
lau.gif

Good thing is that she is now grown and can't fit up there any more! lol Good luck!

taprock, Go with heavier wire. i.e. Hardware cloth or 1" x 1" welded wire. Measure the distance between rafters, cut your wire about 4" wider, bend each end 2" and fasten to rafters with staples, washer headed screws, etc.... You won't have the problem any longer. Good luck.
Erik

too funny, we are in process of building coop for chicks to arrive tomorrow
woot.gif

I was inspecting hubby's beautiful work and we were talking about how/where to put the roosts when it occured to me they might roost up there, I can see it now!

Last edited:
we had the same issue. We were seeing chicken poo outside the coop under the eves and we were wondering how they were doing taht

Back
Top Bottom