1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do your chickens talk to you?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyAnimalGirl, Aug 22, 2010.

1. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Or should I say talk back to you?
    I have dueling bawk/bock conversations with my chickens, but I was wondering if anyone has done better?

I'll go bop-bop-bop-bop BA GAWK, and my silkie roo will do the same back! Sometimes he will crow back at me if I crow, but he mostly only crows to the other roo. My dogs will do group howls, (of course I start them, my chihuahua talks back to me the best) and the silkie will chime in. I have no idea what sound he makes but it's pretty funny and ear piercingly awful at the same time!

My roo also talks back to the sound my computer makes when I get an email or mess something up. He gets really mad if it does it more than once!

2. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    LOL! Love it! I talk with my chickens all the time when I am holding them or just walking around doing my farm chores and they do talk back and answer me with cooing and gawking, but I have never tried to engage with them to repeat after me. May just hang out one day in the run with them and see who is a willing rambler> [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yep. They also look at me funny.

4. ChickenwecallDog

ChickenwecallDog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Aztec, New Mexico
    Yep, he even gets mad when I walk away and starts crowing or doing his little "growl" I guess is what you'd call it lol!

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I keep wondering what they are trying to say.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh yes...mine know their names. Some are more vocal than others. And when I talk to them by name, they will look at me with a cocked head and make their sounds. I like to think they're having a conversation with me, but they're probably just repeating "Treats??? Treats? Treats???" [​IMG]

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I do that to mine, and especially to the neighbor's main rooster black jack who comes avisiting. I crow and him and the two younger main roos start a crowing back, I make the 'excited I found something' sound that roosters make and all the girls come a flocking to see what I got [​IMG] and start fussing at me if I don't give them treats. heh.

8. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Mine never shut up. [​IMG] Houdini just follows me around going, "Bik-bik-bik-bik-BRAWK! Bik-bik-bik-bik-BRAWK!!"
    "Oh, really?"
    "Bik-bik-bikbik."
    "I never would have guessed!"
    "Bik."

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    My chickens are too cool to chat with a weirdo like me, they only give me direct orders. [​IMG]

10. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Quote:Houdini and Ella are the super talkative ones. Anne is just bossy.
    "You! Food girl! Why are you not holding a bowl? Yes, a bowl of food! What else would I mean?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by