Do your chickens talk?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Gabbychickens, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Gabbychickens

Gabbychickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Michigan
    I've only had chickens for four months and I'm amazed at all the different vocalizations they have. My favorite has to be Henrietta's flock call. Twice a day she will call the flock back together and she sounds like a barking dog. She is a barred rock. I have a RIR that can make a horrible racket when she wants treats. I think she is part rooster. Lucinda makes a gabbling noise when she wants attention from me. She's an isa and super friendly. Its fun figuring out what all the different noises mean.

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    welcome and yes they do. mine seems to chit chat all day long.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Mine stay fairly quiet most of the day....except....whenever they see ME coming...yikes! They start chortling, sort of a low loving kinda sound...I just fall in love with them all over again....every day! [​IMG]

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It is really amazing the array of noises and the range of communication that you can pick up on if you pay attention, isn't it? We have some real Chatty Cathy's in our flock (BOs, I'm looking at you here!) and some I never hear much of a peep from ....probably because the loud mouths don't shut up long enough for anyone else to talk. I absolutely love having the time to sit out with the flock and sort out who is saying what with each different noise that is made.

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG] Ain't it the truth!!! [​IMG]

6. TESouthern

TESouthern Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Brock, Tx
    3 of my 4 bigger girls are pretty quiet most of the time...occasionally making noises at eachother but mostly quiet...one of my RIRs chats with me everytime I come near the coop though....she is my fave and the most social

My favorite thing is our 2 mallards....they are too funny....they just carry on conversations with each other ALL the time. And if you pick one up and he doesn't like it...when you put him down he will run over to the other one and they will just start chattering at each other like they are tattling on me...it cracks me up. I have got to get a video of those too soon!

1 person likes this.
  7. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    I've read they can make about 30 distinct vocalizations.
    Mine talk all the time. They're the loudest flock of chickens in the neighborhood!

8. Gabbychickens

Gabbychickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Michigan
    One of my RIR's will also get mad if I pick her up and she will pace around honking when I put her down. I knew I would love having chickens I just never knew I would love them so much. I have a couple kids who have disabilities and life can get stressful. All I have to do is go sit with the flock for a few minutes and I will be laughing in no time. Chickens are awesome!

1 person likes this.
  9. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    It's much easier to understand my chickens than my dog!

10. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Chicken sounds are fun. :p
    I especially love the trilling sound which features when a cause for alarm is perceived.

Silva is quiet and soft-spoken when she does make use of her vocal chords (we think she's either slow or very, very smart).
    Trotsky whines. Sta- Peach whines louder. Whenever we hear complaints flying from the vicinity of the chicken coop it's usually Peach. Trotsky thinks it's cool and has a comically arrogant demeanour. But it's right at the bottom of the pecking order. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by