do your chickkens growl?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by skydivingchickenman, Jul 29, 2008.

1. skydivingchickenman

skydivingchickenman New Egg

Mar 27, 2008
    Hackett Ar
    we have several silkies and when they get startled they growl.i have a friend that i work with and he has chickens also (not silkies) and when he walked around the side of the house they started growling.he was shocked and said that he had never heard a chicken growl before.do your chickens growl?

2. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    funny this is mentioned today...for the first time I heard one of my young polish roos growl!! I was shocked and I turned to my hubby who was standing right next to me and said.... "Oh, he did not just GROWL!!!??! "He has got to go!!!-" LOL LOL

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Well, yes, especially my broody Light Brahma at the moment! She will growl at me if I come near her, but she is still so sweet, she won't peck at me at all. [​IMG]

I have to say, chickens really do make some strange noises rather than just the "buck-a buck" and the crowing I thought they would only do before I had any.... [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My broody's growl - at my hubby, not me (cause I always come with FOOD)

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

There's the crazy screaming banshee impression that the broodies give. There's also a low angry "urrrr" that I'll hear before somebody gets a peck or wallop. Both make me laugh, angry chickens are cute! [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My light brahma has always had a deep rumbly voice...she growls when she is happy and when she is irritated. LOL We have gotten used to which growl is which. But she is a sweetie pie.

7. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Mine purrr and growl depending on thier mood and if they see me with food for them. I have 4 RIR roos, 2-3 RIR hens and 6 other hens. Quite commical when they all get going.

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    :thOnly my hens growl and thats when there broody [​IMG]

Wich i hate.... walking up on a Banty nest hidden in bushes with a broody hen will scare all daylights out of you

9. michaelvcrowder

michaelvcrowder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2007
    gainesville georgia
    my chicken was raised in the house with our cat and we also would let the dog upstairs every evening when we got home from work. the chicken would also sit in my lap with the cat in the evenings when i did my Bible study. so now my chicken purrs when he is happy, he growls when he is aggravated and he crows only in the morning or when he hears a female voice. he also tries his best to talk. it ain't people talk by any means but when people are around and talking he starts cackling and carrying on like he is a part of the conversation.
    michael

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:I agree - chickens make so many funny & strange noises. They're hard to describe, but yes, I hear definite growling from my broody hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by