Do your Chicks Freak Out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Their Other Mother, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Do your chicks freak out when you feed and water them? Everytime I reach into the brooder to feed and water they just freak! They are about 2 & 3 weeks old. No matter how slow or quiet I am they just FREAK!!! Jumping, squawking, running, smashing into each other.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It's THE BIG SCARY HAND. And yes all of us who have had chicks experience the same thing. the funny thing is when you pick them up they calm down. I think it is their instinct about predators because we always come from above when reaching into the brooder....

3. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    I raised my brooder up on concrete blocks so that when I kneel down to work in it Iʻm more at their level. They still act squirrelly, but it is a little calmer. Now, if I can only get my dingo to shut up. She acts nuts every time the chicks get excited.

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    danger comes from above so yes they all freak out

5. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    I've found that this tendency seems to abate the more you handle them. My girls did the same thing, all but bouncing off the walls. I think it's because they think they're about to get eaten. Once they come to realize you're basically their mom, the calm down. Mine went from completely nuts just when I walked in the room too fast to calmly climbing onto my hand and letting me carry them outside to their run for an afternoon of bug-eating.

6. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    i always just thought part of it was because theyre hungry and im the food and water lady...sort of mama [​IMG]

7. Remember Mr. Bill and Mr. Hand OH NO !!!

Seriously, yes all my babies just lose thier collective little minds when you change any thing in thier evironment. I am guessing it is just the nature of the beastie.

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Mine did that for a bit until I made a habit of dropping things from above them. Corn or cheese bits, bits of meat, veggies. After about a week of the hand above the brooder dropping food while in motion mine were running at me and screaming for me to drop something.

They're a little weird as they feather between 2-4 weeks anyway, by four to five weeks the little turds usually decide it's all good and start running onto your lap, arms etc.

At six weeks several of mine fly into my arms when I get out to the coop. If I sit I end up covered in happy chickens. Of course the lead cockerals and the lead pullet all try for my head. Sigh.
    Some days I think fear would be a good thing.

When I work out there it's all about trying not to bugsquat them. Silly danged things.

BTW be wary of heating warm food in the microwave for the wee suckers... My house brood starts SCREAMING for whatever is coming out of the microwave when it beeps. Even when it's my dinner.

9. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by