Do your chicks go nuts?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmtcmkb, Oct 14, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I am kind of frustrated at this point... my chicks are almost 3 weeks old and I was hoping to be able to handle them more. They are in a good size brooder, hardware cloth on all sides, I sit with them multiple times a day and chat, but to open the top and try and hold one is nearly impossible. It's not that they run from me, it's that they all want me to pick them up and they fly up and try to get out. The brooder is 2ft high and I know they can do it, I just dont want them to get hurt, when I open to change water, or feed etc the same scenareo, all hell breaks loose feathers flying, birds flipping out [​IMG]

Any suggestions? Yes I would like to have designed the brooder to have a side opening, but I wasnt going to push the envelope with my dearest who was already full swing into building the coop...and even so I still think they would be running to exit stage left [​IMG]

Edited for spelling, is there spell check somewhere on here? ha-ha

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I don't have a "brooder" I just use a large box for my chicks, this time it was a 3'x4' box and was about 3' tall with no top. When they were about that age they would perch on the sides of the box. What I find funny was after a couple of times of them getting out then crying to get back in...they stopped jumping out and would perch on the sides and them jump back IN the box!

Good Luck with your young'uns!

3. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:good to know maybe I should make sure the room is safe and just take the top off [​IMG] We shall see....

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Of course I had to first make sure that no one was out when my Golden Retrievers went to "check the babies"! The little girls have been out in the coop for over a week now and still the first thing the dogs do when they come in the house is run to the basement looking for the "babies"!

5. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:ha-ha no 4 legged friends here, but a spare room with lots' of nook and crannies to hide in.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I always use a light weight netting over the brooding trailer for the final few weeks. They learn to fly out so quickly, but outside the trailer, there isn't any heat, food or water.

Chicks are much calmer if the room is darkened and only a red light is used. They get hyper wild in white light. Near darkness and red light only has a very calming effect.

7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Leave the lid off or use plexiglass so they see you walk by, that helps.

8. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    ok, I use an ecoglow, so no artificial light, only a regular room bulb early in morn or as I am shutting down for the evening. Sides of brooder are all hardware cloth they can see everything that's going on around them, no startling. I am very aware of that and come quietly and speaking softly. thanks for all the suggestions, I will prob get some light netting, one side of the brooder top is clear plexi, the other hardware cloth and one bird has already tried to fly out and hit the top on the plexi side.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Take them into a very controlled area like a little bathroom. That way you do not have to worry. Sit on the floor make yourself small and let them go to town. I am lucky I fit in the coop. I get low on the ground or sit on a milk crate and talk and gossip and I love them and handle each one and make sure if they jump off to let them know its ok and give them another treat to bribe them back to me. Here (name) or baby here is a treat and show them. I like spaghetti it wiggles and then they will come over. It take time work and patients to get them to come over to the love side. They never have been loved, handled or cared for they are brand new.

Lets see SPELLING, when you see a red line under the word right hand click on it and at the top of the menu you will see a couple of words and go up to the word spelled the way you want it. Longer post I write in MS Word and it spell check and cut and paste my finished writing. Good luck, don't give up!!

10. Campesina

Campesina Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    My 3 week olds don't like anything...like me or my hands that come in from above.
    Could you put your brooder on a table??
    And yes...they all want OUT at the same time.
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by