1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Your Children's Taste In The Opposite Sex Ever Surprise You

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by deb1, Nov 26, 2009.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    My youngest son surprised me. He had a crush on a young lady. This week he came home and announced he wasn't attracted to her anymore. His reason was that she was too much of an air head. The final straw, he said, came when she and another girl announced shock that Africa was made up of more then one country. According to my son, the more he talked to her, the less he was attracted to her-although he still thinks that she is a nice girl. I suggested that it was possible that she was faking some of her airheadness because some girls think guys are attracted to girls who are less intelligent then they are. My son was shocked and wondered why any guy would want to be with a girl that he couldn't have an intelligent conversation with.

I have to say, I am pleased to discover that my son realizes that his girlfriend should have something going for them beyond a pretty face.[​IMG]

The stereotype of what adolescent boys like doesn't seem to fit my 16 year old and that makes me very happy.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] YAY for your son!

3. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:[​IMG] YAY for your son!

[​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My 16 year old hasn't admitted an interest in a specific girl yet, but I sure hope he ventures into the dating world with the same attitude as your son!! [​IMG]

5. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    You have a smart son.

My 20 year old son also refuses to date "airheads," too. He says, "What's up with THAT?!"

We should be thankful. It must be a compliment to us because we raised them that way?!

[​IMG]

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Daily

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Smart young man! Good job! [​IMG]

8. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:I am going to take personal credit for everything that my children do right and blame my hubby for everything that they do wrong. [​IMG]

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    My 9 year old is going to be the reincarnation of Don Juan. As long as its me and him out and about he'll approach attractive gals who are at least twice his age and give them his Cheshire cat smile and say something endearing. It never fails. If I wasn't single he'd have a new gal for me to talk to 3-4 days a week [​IMG]

Oh, and he's the one who helped seal the deal with my current wife. We dated for 4 years and been married for almost two now [​IMG]

10. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Quote:Ditto that!

I'm surprised by my son's choice in girlfriends, too. He's 18 and she's 16; they've been "dating" for almost three years. She lives a little over an hour away, so they only see each other once or twice a month, but talk and text daily. I had always thought he would go for a tall, willowy-type girl, but his girlfriend is short (about 5'2") and very well rounded, she's very outgoing and vivacious, she dies her hair outrageous colors, is incredibly smart and outspoken, and a vegetarian. He's rather quiet and low-key, likes to blend in, and would pretty much live on just meat if given the opportunity. Talk about opposites! I'll tell you, I never would have put the two of them together, but they are very sweet together. I think she's great and am glad he can see beyond superficial things and look into a person's heart to judge who they are. Isn't it great how our kids can surprise us!
    Liz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by