1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do your Cornish X's roost or lay on the floor?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stone_family3, Apr 6, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My fatties are happy and content laying on the floor, which means they are laying in poop (I clean it daily). [​IMG]

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    You do not want them to roost. They may get breast blisters if you allow them to do so.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    None of my birds consistently roost before ten weeks or so anyway, and the cornish as a rule don't live that long. Plus, they're too big to get onto a roost. They need a biggish area and lots of shavings.

4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    They have lots of shavings and I keep changing them, but the poor birds always look so dirty. I use sand instead of shavings?

5. cracked egg

cracked egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    Our Cornish X's have never roosted, they are just to big ...
    They sleep on the floor in the straw while the other birds roost. They free range during the day with the rest of the flock and tale dust baths and such. I've never noticed them to look any dirtier than the others. Sorry not much help. :/

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have to force mine to go outside then it's an uphill battle to get them to stay out there.

7. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    Mine never roost. They all just lay out on the floor in a big huddle. I thought they were cold the first few times but even in the Summer they all lay close together until I come in with the feed bucket. Then they all make a mad dash for the feeder.

Darin

8. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

What weight do you want them to be at processing? I like mine to be around 6-7 pounds, and I let them free range, so I typically do mine around 12 or even 14 weeks.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'm going to provide low roosts and attempt roost training on my CX....just to see if it can happen. Will start this as soon as they can do without the heat lamp at night....down in the 30s here lately and they are just 2 wk. old in an outside brooder/coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by