Do your ducks have water at night?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tjcschwar, Oct 23, 2009.

1. tjcschwar

tjcschwar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    I am busily winterizing my duck's accommodations, and I was wondering if anyone keeps their ducks away from water at night. Mine have a waterer, and they spread the water everywhere, even though they have to stick their heads through the slots to get to the water. I also tried a giant water bottle (one with a ball at the tip), but they didn't get that. I suppose that if I were to take away the water, I would need to take away the food, too.

Their house is pretty small (2'x3' house, with an attached screened-in 2'x3' "atrium"), so it would also give them some extra space if I removed the waterer. I have 4 khaki campbells.

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

It depends on the age, but if they are already outside, then yes, you can take away their water. make sure you take away their food too.

3. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    My duckies do not get food or water at night.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Soon, mine will have a nice drink and meal before locking them up for the night. They can have access to food and drink in the morning when I let them out for the day.

They have a one car garage as their barn and winter is long up here. Last thing I want to do is excessive straw mucking.

5. tjcschwar

tjcschwar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    All right - no guilt then! The one thing that I am concerned about is that they are already quacking to be let out at 6:30 AM (soon to be 5:30). Will they be even noisier if they are hungry? Probably. They are very spoiled.

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I don't give mine food or water at night - it made WAY too much mess in their pen.

The water and food is outside the pen and they have access all day while free ranging. They seem fine with this arrangement. My neighbor told me I was abusing them for not letting them have water at all times, but then, she doesn't have ducks, so I wonder at her expertise on the matter.

They go in at dark and out at almost first light (I have calves that are on a feeding schedule) so it isn't as if they linger in there half the day without. ([​IMG] plus with all the rain we've had, not much land around here hasn't got at least one small puddle).

meri

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You know those cute little gallon jug waters you make for ducklings in the brooder? I have a grown up version for my ducks made out of a 5 gallon bucket [​IMG] It really helps keep the slop level down.

So yeah, my spoiled brats have food and water at night. I like to sleep in on weekends and I don't want to listen to them quacking their fool heads off because they are thirsty and hungry and I don't feel like waking up!

8. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I wish I could sleep in [​IMG]

[​IMG] maybe once the cows get bigger... I am almost done bottle feeding the last two.

Naw, they would never let me sleep in, they'd make such a ruckus I'd end up getting up anyway, just to shut them up.

meri

9. LittleSquidgenHome

LittleSquidgenHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Michiana
    My scovies get a small bucket in their pen, because if they happen to find a mouse in the night I want to lessen the chance of choking and they dont seem to be as messy as my Anconas. The Anconas lost their night time water at 10 weeks. They were just far too messy and their bucket was empty by midnight any way. If I had a waterer that was not so easy to slop water out of they would have water at night, but I don't so they don't. They don't seem to mind much.

10. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I say go inside and close the coop up as you normally would for the night, and stick your head about one foot above the bedding and take a good whiff. Then realize that this is what your duck is breathing until you let them out the next day. Giving an adult duck water at night only encourages a messy pen. Not only are they drinking it, but probably splashing it all over themselves in an attempt to bathe. The ammonia builds up quickly.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by