Do your ducks let you pet them?

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
2918087A-5F81-4BFF-84F3-E2C3C474F6F9.jpeg C635D6FE-7462-429B-904E-2C830458E3C8.jpeg I have 2 Indian runner or mixed Drakes and two Rouen ducks. They will come to me when they see me. If I sit out in the coop they all four come to me and peck my clothes , shoes and my chair. When I talk to them they’ll cock their heads to one side and listen and they get all loud and happy when they see me come in , but if I even act like I’m going to touch them in any way they all run away and quack

Attachments

• 72AB38B2-F4D7-43C2-8543-400383EC8C28.jpeg
    72AB38B2-F4D7-43C2-8543-400383EC8C28.jpeg
    715.1 KB · Views: 11
That's funny! Mine mostly do the same however we are sneaking in pets when we are giving them special treats. Some totally freak but most of them are getting acclimated. We have a couple that we can hold. I am certain that if I worked with them more that they would be climbing in my lap. They wag their tails and come when I talk to them. Imagine 30 ducklings and 12 adults! It's amazing how they differ in personality. They are so darn cute!

That sucks I thought ducks got close to you and man I’m out there often dealing with them , as I said they do come right to me and peck me not angrily just curiously and will listen to me talk but that’s as far as we’ve gotten and I’ve had them since they were 8 was old
They do. You just have to recalibrate your expectations to reflect their minds, not yours. Spend time with them on their own terms, and they may even climb into your lap eventually! I find that doing yard work such as weeding is the quickest way to get them interested in you. Appeal to their curiosity. They've got a lot of it.

Awwww you’re so lucky
Thanks! All those ducks moved on to a hobby farm with a big pond, Iam hatching new ones

My trick is to hatch 1 or 2 at a time for maximum bonding. when i hatch 1 duckling i do it while iam off work and spend as much time with it as possible and the brooder is in the bedroom at night, The wife loves it haha

your in a great spot with yours, a place alot of people work for years to get too! your ducks look very happy and healthy

Back
Top Bottom