Do your eggs shrink in the HEAT ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by math ace, Jul 30, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am noticing that my chickens are laying smaller eggs.

Is this from the intense heat - - - High 90's and Low 100's ? ? ?

What do you think ? ?

2. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    Mine did shrink and some stopped laying at all.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, many of my girls are laying eggs smaller than their norm in this horrible heat and humidity.

4. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Mine, too. They are only slightly bigger than banty eggs [​IMG] And there's not so many of them. Extra protein helps.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Mine have gotten smaller too. I still am getting from 5 to 8 though from my 9 girls a day. One has gone broody I think, I think. She is doing the clucky thing and setting much to much. I have to get her broody area set up and then let my friend with the welsummers know I want eggs. Hope this heat eases some. August here usually cools off a bit. Of course, this is not a normal year nor was last winter!!!! Gloria Jean

6. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Ok, I have to be honest. I didn't know what to think when I read the title to the post. I was afraid to read the post not knowing what to expect. Glad to see it wasn't what I thought.

[​IMG] I thought it was a newbie asking if eggs sitting in a nestbox would shrink. I'm thinking to myself........ do your eggs shrink when you boil them????? [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm sorry, it's been a long day. [​IMG] Goodness, I needed that chuckle!!! [​IMG]

7. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So, does this mean I am clearly not a newbie?

GLAD to see that others are noticing the egg size issue. My leghorn eggs are now med size. Before, the leghorn eggs were a large size.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Mine too. I had just started noticing the trend and attributed it to the heat. Glad I'm not the only one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by