1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do your girls always lay in the morning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbounds10, Jul 24, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My 20 week old girls have not started laying yet but I always just assumed they layed in the morning. When do your girls lay? Does anything help determine the laying pattern?

2. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    My girls lay all day. They have a 25ish hour cycle, so the time each girl lays will become later each day. Eventually it will be too late and she can skip a day.

3. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    My girls lay all day as well! I always collect one last time before I lock them up for the night.

4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I only have three laying at the moment. One lays around 11am so I go out around 1pm to collect her's then I go back out again to take them 'snacks' from the garden at 5pm and usually the other two have laid although I don't know exactly when they are laying between 1 and 5 pm.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    They lay all day, usually in a nest box. Tonight, one EE slipped an egg out at 8 pm on the ground in the run on her way into the coop to roost.

I occasionally find an egg smashed under the perch in the morning that has slipped out of someone during the night.

You should be ready for everything and anything, including items that bear no resemblance to an egg.

6. nerd0geekboyz

nerd0geekboyz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    NorCal
    My first egg was found in the morning, so it was either early morning or evening (I left the light on in the coop, which may have caused a hen to lay at night.).

The second egg was laid between 10:30 am and 4, the same day.

So, my hens lay when they want to.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Mostly in the morning, but there are always a few oddballs that lay in the afternoon.

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I have afternoon layers.

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have two hens who have always layer in the afternoon.

10. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Mine lay through out the day too. I'm getting around 6 eggs a day now out of 9 hens. I usually check every 2 hours till their bed time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by