Do your girls favor on particular nesting box??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KarenP, Feb 8, 2012.

1. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I have 5 nesting boxes and 12 hens. They all seem to wait in line for this one box. They have the strangest behavior sometimes!!!

2. Foggyhens

Foggyhens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    California
    4 nesting boxes for 10 hens and they'll squawk for the ONE box that is occupied! You're right, it's so funny. What's happening in my coop right now is that they lay in all but 1 box and avoid that same box everyday. We can't figure out what's up with that.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    My silly girls also line up for one location.

I have plenty of nesting boxes, but like others on this board who will tell you the same thing....they all want to be in
    the same place at the same time.

Sometimes one will actually sit on top of another. It's so funny.

4. DanielHoover

DanielHoover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Hens prefer to lay in a nest that already has eggs in it. Thats
    why I keep a wooden egg in each nest.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    There is always a favorite nesting box.

6. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    When they first started laying, they seemed to experiment with all three boxes, as well as the nook under the nesting boxes. Now they've all decided on one box and all the days eggs are deposited there. I might have to try the wooden egg thing and see if that might encourage them to spread out because while it is convenient to find all of the eggs in one place, I have had a few cracked or broken eggs, probably because of the rush-hour pile up.

7. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Mine also wait in line for the same box. I have had several eggs laid on the floor of the coop while waiting in line.

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Only 3 of the 4 in my coop get used. They are the boxes that are furthest from a window. Whichever of these three has an egg in it is the favorite. I've experimented with golfballs just too see what would happen, and it makes no difference. Like they say, "build it and they......might use it."

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Mine want to lay where there is another egg; there doesn't seem to be any other preference. So, all 4 boxes are used if I simply put in some dummy eggs.

10. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i have four nest boxes and three hens.yep they all wait in line for the one nest box.last week one of the hens stood in front of the hen that was on the nest.she was loudly squaking.well that did not work so she climb on top of the other hen and nudge her out of the nest.chickens can be so fun to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by