Do your Girls go on Vacation just because they want to?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Schwartzfarmnc, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I know it's the time of year now for the girls to slow down or maybe even stop, but if they have the best food, the best and freshest water, the most desireable run, been wormed, no parasites, and extra light added. Do your chickens believe they need a vacation so they take one? Our girls are 35 weeks old, not molting but several have decided to go on vacation and did not think they needed to tell me before punching out either??? Will it be spring before I eat another fresh egg from these girls?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I have a Delaware and a BR and both are supposed to lay through winter. They are still laying here - in Eastern Canada.. On a daily basis (pretty much)

3. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I wish I could say the same, my best girl has even stopped for some reason? I get 6-7 eggs from 13 girls right now, but last week I was getting 10-12 per day [​IMG]

I figured they may slow down, but to stop completely is quiet heartbreaking [​IMG]

4. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    maybe they are molting?

5. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:If they are, their not losing any feathers? I thought maybe it could be molting, but there are no feathers to be seen or at least they are not showing to lose any, that is why I'm stumped, unless it has to do with the cold and short days, I guess I'm just going to have to wait them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by