Do your guineas go outside

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by chicken_angler, Oct 17, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Mine dont. They sit on the nests all day and make a mess. On the side of the coop is a pretty big run that the chickens enjoy but the guineas dont.

BTW- I have 2 guineas: 1 male, 1 female.

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Mine are first to fly out of coop each a.m. when door is opened! They are the last to come in to roost at night..
    If I have to leave coop locked up they chatter all day!
    You must have 2 spoiled ones [​IMG]

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

no doubt spoiled,, mine are also first out, last in.

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Mine also hightails it out as soon as the hatch is opened, hollering the whole time.

5. poultrylady

poultrylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    Mine live outside all the time, they refuse to use a coop. They had a nice one but prefer to roost in the top of a huge tree, winter and summer. so I put more chickens in their old coop. Mine freerange anywhere they want and they never really leave the farm. I have around 40 adults now, and alot of keets in the brooders.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine also will absolutely not roost anywhere but in a tree. Even when it rained yesterday, they were in the tree. My two hens were going into the barn and roosting alot, but they don't even do that anymore.

7. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    How long have you had your guineas? They don't handle change well. When we first let ours out it takes weeks before they finally venture outside.

8. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    Mine went out for the first time today, they are only 6 weeks old and I had to push them out the door, they had a blast, like kids in a candy store [​IMG]

9. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I have had them for about 4- 5 weeks. They lady I bought them from didnt let them outside. She didnt even have a window in the building they were in so i dont think they quite know to go out. They chatter at me when I fill the feeders. I put them out in the run twice but they still havent figured out that they need to go out yet.

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

put their feed out there for a couple days,, when they get hungry they'll go to it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by