do your guineas hiss at you at night?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by oliviad51, Sep 29, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    So last night I went to close the guinea coop. I kept hearing a soft but mean noise. I looked up and my guineas were hissing at me! They don't do this during the day. Are mine the only ones that do this?

2. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    I've never had mine hiss at me and they are 3 1/2 years old. They'll make noise if I go up and check on them at night, usually a soft murmur. Yesterday DH came out with a yellow ball cap on. They were not impressed and let him know in no uncertain terms [​IMG]

3. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    LOL. I just think its weird. Maybe they are so stupid they don't realize what I am at night.
    I have seen rocks smarter then guineas.

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I would love to get some one day!

5. Chicken Vigilante

Chicken Vigilante Chicken Trader

Nov 22, 2008
    You are NOT alone. Yep, my guineas hiss at me while they are roosting on the highest rafters of the barn they can get to.

The actually "snake" thier beady little heads down and give me the "what for".

Just another "guinea thing" I guess.

6. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Mine do the head thing too! That was a good way to describe it.

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:Guineas are not stupid. What is stupid is people not being able to grasp that Guineas are completely different from many other fowl.

They hiss at night when they perceive of a presence or hear one, they can not see it because they are absolutely and completely night blind.

8. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Guineas are not stupid. What is stupid is people not being able to grasp that Guineas are completely different from many other fowl.

They hiss at night when they perceive of a presence or hear one, they can not see it because they are absolutely and completely night blind.

I believe it is an individual trait. I only had one particular female that would hiss when I went in the coop. She has since changed her roosting place to a tall oak tree. Now none of the other guineas hiss at me, and I go in their coop every night to check for eggs and do a head count.

9. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I haven't heard mine hiss yet. I am going to be listening for it now though. I think guinea are so fascinating. It must be some type of defense mechanism.

10. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think they are fun to watch too. I just love watching them travel in their flocks around the neighborhood, stopping to look for ticks and bugs. I could watch them all day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by