Do your hens cackle to announce eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buone Uova, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Buone Uova

Buone Uova Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

Hey there,

One of our girls seems to have laid an egg without doing the frantic cackle that we are used to hearing. Is it possible that Chetta is a quiet girlie? I thought all hens did some form of bok bok BOK when laying.

Thanks![​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yup mine do it to. We call it the Musical of Chickens. Even my roo cackles or bwauks when a girl lays one.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    One of my hens does pre-emptive ba-gawking for the others, even standing next to them ba-gawking as they lay. Most of the others, including my roo, tend to join in. One of the hens doesn't ba-gawk at all; I guess because the others are doing it for her. It gets a little noisy.
    Sounds like you've got a quiet gal.

4. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    A couple of mine purr, a couple are silent, one squawks and my dominate hen announces all eggs layed, by any of them, to the world!

5. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I have 21 hens - and I know there is at least one that never makes a sound when she lays. She just quietly leaves an egg and exists the coop. The others carry on something fierce - some start as soon they head for the nest box, continue while in the next box, and right on until they leave it. And my alpha roo always joins in on the announcement. [​IMG]

I think most will announce it - but I guess it just depends on the personality.

Penny

6. patpark

patpark New Egg

Oct 22, 2008
    Cameron, Texas
    My chickens were given to me by my SIL. They were digging up her flower beds. My first chickens ever. I finally decided to turn them out of the coop and let them peck around the barn & yard. I was worried about them returning to the coop to lay their eggs, but they all do. One particular chicken will ease up to the coop, lay her egg and then quietly go back to where all the other chickens are and when she gets close to them she starts to cackle like crazy. The rest of them will all start to cackle and the rooster will crow and strut around. They are so much fun to watch!!

7. apukanski

apukanski Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    I I have one that cackles every time an egg is laid. These are my first chickens, I had no idea they were so funny.

8. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    I thought one of my girls was DYING tonigjht and after 30 minutes of bak bak bak ba-gawk She finally laid an egg - I think this was her second maybe 3rd egg. then she went around the run strutting lol [​IMG]

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    About half of my hens carry on after they lay an egg. One hen does her alarm call and the roosters start doing the alarm call too.

10. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    Three of mine just started laying - one today, one yesterday, and one on the 1st of November, and none of them cackle. They just hop out of the nest and go about their business like nothing even happened. They kind of purr while in the nesting boxes, but no announcing to the world afterwards. I guess they are just being modest:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by