Do your hens have this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Staciachicken, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Staciachicken

Staciachicken In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    Is it normal for your hens to have a fluid like belly in between their legs?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Are you able to post any pictures from behind? An enlarged lower belly can be from ascites or fluid in the belly which can be due to right sided heart failure or liver failure, and is seen in chickens with internal laying problems as well. How old is your hen. I had 4 hens die during the extreme cold weather last winter, and 3 of the 4 had ascites when I opened them for a necropsy.

3. Staciachicken

Jun 12, 2018

Thank you! It's quite a long story but I will try to make it short, lol

So I had 2 older hen's develop ascites and lethargy. They both had to be euthanized. I had brought 2 Easter Eggers into the flock months before they got sick. My EE's are both vaccinated against Marek's disease which is what I thought my other 2 hen's may have had...but not sure. I didn't bring anymore new bird into my flock until chick days at TS. I got 2 Barred Rock pullets. One of my 4 month old pullets has the fluid in her belly and lethargy now. I also went down to the coop and felt of my EE's bellies and they seem to have a small amount of fluid as well that maybe I never noticed??? Just trying to figure out what is going on with my birds, so confused.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Four months old seems a little young for ascites. Hopefully, you can help her with encouraging water and food (watery chick feed, egg, tuna) and electrolytes. I would also consider that she might have coccidiosis with her lethargy. Look for runny poops, hunched posture, and coccidiosis can be treated with Corid in the water.

sylviethecochin and Wyorp Rock like this.
  5. Staciachicken

Jun 12, 2018
    I can get Corid at Tractor Supply?

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of the poop?
    You should be able to find Corid at Tractor Supply - look in the cattle section.
    Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7days as the only source of drinking water.

[​IMG]

Chick-N-Fun and Farmer Connie like this.
  7. rebrascora

rebrascora Crowing

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    What do you feed your flock?
    Having several with Ascites in a short space of time might be more related to diet and possible Fatty Liver Haemorrhagic Syndrome than Marek's...... I have not seen any of my Marek's birds with Ascites, but that is not to say it can't happen.... did you have a professional necropsy on the others to confirm Marek's?

sylviethecochin likes this.
  8. Staciachicken

Jun 12, 2018
    I will get this today and treat everyone just to be safe! Thank you. I am at work and can't provide pics right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by