Do your hens have this?

@Eggcessive knows more about testing than I do, but yes...you would look for bacterial rods in the stool.
I am trying to think of something else that would cause a fluid feeling belly besides feed. Bacterial infection, worms and Coccidiosis all come to mind. I'm sure there are a number of other things too - organ failure, but she is quite young so if that's the case, I would think genetics first.

What state do you live in? Sometimes a poultry lab will take samples for testing too (without the bird being dead:)) I know the NC system will.

We don't have the solution needed to do a fecal float for chickens but I am going to treat for Coccidia anyways. I just brought one of my EE's in and we did an xray, she does not have any fluid in her abdomen #tunnelvision but lots of fat back there, so that is a good thing. I am going to aspirate the sick pullet when I get home just to make hers is only fat as well, unsure why they would have an excess of fat there but that's a different thread, lol

I just brought one of my EE's in and we did an xray, she does not have any fluid in her abdomen #tunnelvision but lots of fat back there, so that is a good thing. I am going to aspirate the sick pullet when I get home just to make hers is only fat as well, unsure why they would have an excess of fat there but that's a different thread, lol

Older hens do carry fat there but it should not be excessive as that makes them vulnerable to fatty liver. It also means that they are more at risk of prolapse and internal laying.

Should I tweak their diet? And I wonder why my and if my 4 month old BR has that excess fat there??? I will know more when I see if it's fluid when i get off work.....

I rarely feed treats or table food because I had read it was bad for them.

It's on the abdomen, in between the legs...feels slightly fluid filled. My others developed quite a lot of fluid in the belly before I had to have them euthanized. They were a Cochin and a Black Star. the hens I have now that are developing the fluid are 2 Easter Eggers and a Barred Rock. My EE's are about 2 years old and my BR is 4 months old.
Rarely can mean different things to different people. I was just wondering how often rarely was.

Here's her poop. Look like Coccidia?

Attachments

• 15290151060652236781796429573178.jpg
    15290151060652236781796429573178.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom