Do your hens lay STANDING UP???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Feb 10, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

My girls are driving me CRAZY! On numerous occasions, I have witnessed them laying an egg standing up! And there it goes, PLOP! And it is not only one particular hen, several have been doing it. They are in different coops, so it is not that they are copying each other.

This keeps me very busy, as I have to CONSTANTLY monitor the nests to make sure they haven't kicked out too much hay/straw. I have already lost some eggs because they broke from hitting the hard surface at the bottom of the nest. And, OF COURSE, they were some of my nicest, largest eggs. Wouldn't you know!

Well, at least they don't poop in the nests they lay in (or is it that they don't lay in the nests with poop?)

Does anyone else have silly hens like this? Genie

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They all "stand" up to lay, they have to force that darned egg out of there.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I bought some cheap place mats, the cushioned kind and lined the nest boxes with that so the eggs wouldn't break. It has helped trmendously.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Pips is right; they all lay standing up.

I bought some indoor/outdoor carpet at Home Depot and cut a mat for each nest box, then put shavings over the top. It's worked out GREAT - NO broken eggs, and the "mats" are so easy to clean: I clip them to the horse fence with clothes pins & hose them off, then spray lightly with Oxine solution and let them dry in the sun.

[​IMG]

5. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    NONE of my brown egg layers stand up to lay. when they're young and first starting to lay, they may have an "accidental" laying in the coop but they all lay in the nest boxes, hunkered down.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, they all do it.
    I can't help but laugh at Lilith when I witness her laying. She stands up, she scrunches down and she groans really loud. [​IMG]
    I just check the nests each morning to make sure they've all got plenty of hay in them. Haven't had a broken egg yet and only two that have ever been kicked out of the nests.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Gritsar, you HAVE to get Lilith laying on video...THAT would be HILARIOUS! [​IMG]

8. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:You are lucky in that yours "scrunch down". Mine stand tall and lay the egg! Genie

9. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    quat down a little bit but they are still dropping the egg a little ways

10. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    Quote:that's a good idea. i linned the nest boxes with cardboard, then put the straw on top of it. that way there's still a little padding when the egg hits. I had the same prob with broken eggs. It seems to be my Australorps that are doing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by