do your kids share a room?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by kagedgoddess, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    i have three kids 10 girl, 4 boyand 10 mos girl, and i m pregnant again. im guessing based on the way this pregnancy is going its another girl. i have given birth to two boys, and i miscarried another confirmed boy, with all three of those i had no morning sickness, i didnt even know i was pregnant untill i realized i had missed three monthlys' lol. now with the girls, i am sick from before i miss a day, i get horrible headaches starting at 12 wks, i have an aweful time of it. so far i am miserable, the headaches have started and every food tastes so bad i cant eat anything but crackers, so anyways my point....

right now my two girls share a room, but since the little one is so little it kinda doesnt matter, i m thinking how bad it will be when eldest is 15 and little one is 5, and then if theres another girl can i honestly make them ALL share? and how fair is it that my son gets his own room? but is it fair to make him share with a girl when theres such an age difference? if its a boy it ll just be two and two. oh well the age thing. anyways my 10yo is very angry with me right now about all this. she doesnt feel its fair to share with thte baby now, and that this new baby is due the month before her bday. dd likes haveing a bday right when we get our tax returns, but now shell have someone beating her to the $$$. (she thinks)
    we rent a 3bdrm, we dont have any extra rooms like a dining room or den or anything. and the basement floods, so thats out. so do your kids share, what are their ages and any adivice????

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would buy a sump pump and make that basement livable. It may be the only way to save yourself the brain damage of hormonally deranged teenagers! LOL

My boys were only 16 months a part so they did share a room for quite a while. But with a really big age difference...I would do whatever I could to increase my living space!

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Growing up, my brother(3 yrs older than me) had to share a room with my baby sister (3 years younger) and my other sis (18 months younger) and I shared a room. When my brother got to be 8 or so, littlest sis was moved into our room. So the three of us shared while he had his own room. When I was 13 or so I finally got my own room(and my own bed!). Two sisters still shared a room until I left at 18.

Saddest part is, we had a 4 bedroom house. My parents - for some weird reason - refused to make it so. We only had 3 bedrooms til I threw a TOTAL fit about not having my own space and my father let me have my way. I always thought it was rediculous not to have a 4th bedroom. We didnt' NEED a den. We NEEDED our own space by the time we were teens!

My DD and DS shared a room up until DD was in 6th grade. We only had a two bedroom house. They are two years apart and did fine for the most part. Now they are teens and they would just kill each other!

My brother's two older kids boy,8 and girl,5, share a room. The fraternal twins have the other room. I suppose eventually they will split them boys and girsl. But the oldest is so much older that I don't know.....

I think by the time kids hit 13 or so, they need a level of privacy that can't be afforded when boys and girls share the same room. until then, they'll get over it!

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    My two girls, 10 and 5, share a room. My son gets his own because he is a boy. I have 2 nice sized bedrooms and a big loft bedroom. I actually have another room that could be used as a bedroom but it is my sewing room and I am not giving it up. [​IMG]

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I hate to say it, but I think it's time to move. If the new baby is a girl, it makes more sense for her to share with the younger girl and, IMHO, your older daughter should have her own room. My girls shared a room, on and off, but they're only three years apart. My only son, also the oldest child, always had his own room.

When's your lease up on your current home? Could the new baby sleep in your room until then?

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but . . .

6. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    My girls 9 and 5 share a room. My boy's have there own.... I have to agree with sfw2....it is time to find something bigger.... Congrats on the new baby and good luck.

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Not this applies to you but in Florida different sexed children can share a room until one hits 3 years old. Then by law they must be in separate rooms. And there must be 40sqft per child in a room.

I would suggest a basement rehab~

That's all i got , sorry~

8. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with everyone. The sump pump should be step one for serveral reasons, I assume it would be up to the landlord to provide for health reasons if nothing else.

I agree with the oldest girl having her own room, the two youngest can share for a while until a new more permit.

I also think moving would be a good option

Congradulations!

9. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Yeah I was going to mention that most states have laws about different gender kids sharing a room after a certain age.

Brother and I shared a room till we were like 6, because he was afraid to sleep alone (and, dont tell the big bad marine I told, but when we were like, 15 and 16 he would come into my room and sleep on the floor by my bed if he had a bad night (he has had night terrors his whole life)... its nice being a big sis when the relationship is good like that). My boys are 15 mo apart and share a room even tho we have a 5 bdrm house simply because they like to be together. Stepson has his own room because he is 10 years older than them.

The elder daughter is getting to the age where in the near future it might be good for her to have her own room as she becomes her own person and starts growing up and wanting to express herself. Maybe make the basement liveable and give her that space as a goodwill gesture that you know this is a hard time for her but that she is still important and you appreciate her.

Space is hard to come by and money is so tight these days ...I feel for your family and this crowded situation!

Congrats on the new one and hope things work out.

10. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My 2 boys share a room. My sister and I (who are 2.5 years apart) always had seperate rooms but always slept in the same bed up until I was 17. It was just a comfort factor I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by