1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do your meat chickens have roosts in their coop???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Willow's Meadow, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    I might get some meat chickens this summer but I don't know much about them. I wasn't sure if I should put roosts in their coop or not if I get them. Do you have roosts for you meat chickens in their coop???

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I personally don't raise them but I would'nt think you should because they could possibly break there legs while jumping down because they weigh so much.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
  4. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    In my experience only the very old meat birds will roost. I have a couple hens that I use for eggs and they roost with the leghorns. I also have many younger Freedom Rangers and the "roost" on the ground.

5. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i did put a couple of small branches in the brooder for my cornish x chicks to play on and entertain themselves. but when they get bigger, their legs are probably the frailest part of them, so no roosts. maybe freedom rangers, a more active bird could use a low to the ground one, but i am not sure

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    All of my meat birds, including Cornish X roosted after they were four months old. My Rangers roosted long before that. None of them ever broke a leg or got breast blisters from roosting and they did it long term.

Here's a pic of my meat breeding birds at about 8 months as you can see they are roosting.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by