Do your silkies roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaybme, Oct 23, 2008.

1. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read in different forums and webpages that silkies do not roost, and yet the silkie guide I read mentions putting the first roost low at 24" so they can get on easily.

Do they roost or not? Should I put in roosts or not worry about it?

Thanks!

Jayne

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

This is another weekly conversation here on BYC..... Try the "search" function.

Yes, some Silkies will roost if they have access such as a ladder or ramp for higher roosts. Generally roosts for Silkies should be low to the ground, otherwise they will just sleep in piles on the floor.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Mine just pile on top of each other in one of the nest boxes...

4. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    My silkies will just sit on the floor to sleep. They do not even try to "roost" on a lower roost like my standard chickens will. I have only had them for about 5-6 months now. But that is what they have done.....so far anyway.

Silkies just have their own individual agenda, I quess?! [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:Aint that the truth....

6. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    My silkies have a roost 12 inches from the floor and have never once gotten on it by themselves.

Darn little fluffy butts sleep in a pile in the corner.[​IMG]

7. Poulets De Cajun

Thats what you call "murphys law..."

8. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    We have low roosts and high roosts, they would rather pile on one another in a corner of the coop, they have dug and made nests, never tried to roost not one of them.........that's why I love them!! Ha...

9. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I have 4 silkies that are 9 weeks old. They all sleep in a pile also. However, my white one has developed a desire to jump, climb, and/or fly. I didn't think silkies could fly either, but she's managing to get across a 30" fence to get to the cochins...and they don't even like her! [​IMG]

10. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    My silies roost. They fight for the spot on the 5ft roost, and usually win! The girls all know to watch out for the evil ones. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by