Doberman versus chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LilyD, Jun 5, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay so I have a doberman and was warned right from the beginning that dogs and chickens often don't mix. I have tried to make sure he sees the chickens so that he will be used to them and not bark his fool head off every time they are playing outside and so far that has worked well.

I got home one day from picking my son up at school and he let our dog out as is our ritual every day, but Ozzie's behavior wasn't normal. He kept running in and out and trying to get me to see something. I went outside and he preceded to show me that one of the girls had flown the coop literally. She was outside her pen and in his outdoor run.

The craziest thing is he never once barked and he didn't try to pick her up or anything he just nuzzled her with his nose and then came back to me with the look that said, "Mom would you put her back already this is my space."

I am totally amazed! What a good dog.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    When that behavior comes to the surface you want to be sure to reward it immediately.

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Oh yes he got lots of praise and a treat for letting me know she was out once I figured out that was what he was trying to say lol

4. Melissa2173

Melissa2173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Springfield, Georgia
    That's awesome! What a good dog. I'm hoping my lab ignores mine but I don't hold out much hope!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Great! I've had 4 dogs who are safe around chickens. They are great predator deterrents. It was a few months before it felt safe to just turn them loose and not supervise. I think it's good to realize, too, that a dog who didn't bother chickens for years can change, although I haven't seen that happen -- yet. The trade off for me is many, many hours of relatively safe free range time, which of course makes for very happy chickens. Good luck!

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Very cool....my weim is not THAT good with the chickens.The mailman jokes with me about psychologically messing up my dogs mind [​IMG]

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    my GSD Rayden brings me baby chicks if they get out. The funniest was when he found a fledgling barn swallow. He was trying to bring me the baby and Mama and Papa Swallow were dive-bombing his head. So he just stood there with it in his mouth, head ducked down and waited for me to rescue him. I couldn't have him in that part of the yard until the chicks finally flew away. The first thing he did was go check for them.

Other than babies, though, he thinks wild birds are the enemies. So are wild bunnies and don't even ask about the squirrels.
    Him, I trust unsupervised. He's not bothered anything in his "pack" since he came home at 8 weeks and he'll be 8 yrs old in Aug. The pup? We'll wait and see but he's not allowed near the bunnies at all and the chickens only with supervision.

[​IMG]

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Beautiful coloring...nice dog [​IMG]

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    he's an angel. The little guy? well, he's got a lot to learn!! he can be trusted around the chickens if you are with him, otherwise he thinks it's fun for them to make them run screaming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by