Doc diagnosed my hubby w/ Campylobacter infection and histoplasmosis .

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by The Chicken People, Aug 25, 2010.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    This hasnt been a great last few days! I get that the hystoplasmosis could be from chickens or dirt both of which he is exposed to! The campylobacter infection has me guessing...Is it from the water ( we are under a boil order info on another thread) or from eating under cooked chicken? Good thing is his heart is strong and his colon is clean and his hospital bill will probably be half of what he makes in a year!

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Wow, I had to look those two words up. Wild bird poop in also in the soil............and who knows what other kind of scat would be around to cause it. [​IMG] Since your hubby (I'm assuming that's who you mean) has a clean colon I believe that would help immensly with that other one! Good luck and hope he gets those infections cleared up! Let us know how he does. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry to hear about your DH's illness. That's alot to deal with all at once. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for him.

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG]

5. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Boil order is lifted as of two days ago!
    DH is doing better back at work today! Thanks for the well wishes!

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Don't know if it would help much,but certainly couldn't hurt so I would say get him to take in some KEFIR and yougurt.The kefir by lifeway(there are more brands) has about 10 bacteria in them. I always used to dose my kids with it when they were sick to restock the gut flora.Yogurt(plain) is easy to get but only has 1 or 2 types of bacteria.The more good germs the better.Your posts reminds me of the Monsters inside me show.Was just watching that last night,and it is frightful what liitle creatures can get inside of us.

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    [​IMG] Camphylbylactor or however its spelled... had that. Took me and the doc a few months and a few lost pounds to figure it out. It would come and go. Lots of going though. My sympathies. Both those things can be easily picked up anywhere, be drug resistant, and spread in the family.
    Good luck!

8. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Hey stupidbird, did you have bleeding? or blood clots? he is on ciproflaxacn 500 mg

9. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope he continues to do better, and that the hospital bill wasn't too bad... . eeesh! [​IMG]

10. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Thechickenpeople: not really that I remember, which is why I took so long to even bother going to the doc. Cipro sounds familiar, but its one of the few antibiotics I'm not too sensitive to - I just remember it took a while. Ugh. My stomach has always been a problem. the yogurts/probiotics were also recommended by my docs anytime I was on antibiotics and for awhile afterwards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by