1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Docile birds now more aggressive

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bmill88, Jul 1, 2016.

1. bmill88

bmill88 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    My 3 chickens used to be more docile, they would let you pet them. But now as they have gotten older they are a bit more aggressive and want to try to peck me when I try to pet them. They are 15 weeks old as of Saturday and they are barred rocks, which are known for being friendlier chickens. How to I train them to be friendlier like they used to be?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    They are going through the cranky teen stage. They may become more approachable after they start laying.

3. bmill88

Apr 29, 2016

Are they really like that? I had no idea they can be hormonal teens. All of their voices have changed already, how soon are they to laying eggs?

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree with the first poster, they become very skittish, and later will calm down again.

5. bmill88

Apr 29, 2016
    Ok I just put them to bed in their coop because they roost on a little table at dusk until it gets nighttime. They were very docile and let me pet them, even hold them for a bit. Are they more docile when they are sleepy/tired?

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    yes a lot of people wait to handle them until they are asleep as they are very trance like. And like teenagers, they love to stay out till late.

7. KidsandGuineas

KidsandGuineas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    Grand Rapids MN
    I have barred rocks so good to know what to expect soon!

8. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

My 16 month old barred rock hens are very chill. They come running to me when I sit on the picnic table bench; they jump up on the table and want attention and treats!
    They went through the teenage phase as well. It gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by