1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Docile Rooster Breeds ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazychicken, May 24, 2009.

1. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    We have a RIR who is real mean and attacks us and is always puffed up. We will probably give him away but then we will be wanting a new roo and a couple of hens. in general which breeds have docile roosters ? I hear Welsummers are nice if so I will probably get some of them. any input on nice rooster breeds is welcome ?

1 person likes this.
  2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    My BO roo has been a very nice boy; watchful of his girls and respectful of me. But maybe I just got lucky with him. I'm learning that chickens are individuals, just like people.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have to watch my BO roo like a hawk. He's nicer than my banty roo, but he has come at me a few times. He's really good to his hens and a great protector. That's why he's still here. I don't trust him to turn my back on him though.

I'm beginning to think the sweet rooster is an urban myth. [​IMG]

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Oriental gamefowl are supposed to be gentle roosters towards people, Try talking to Fowlafoot or Prariechiken.. They have a few pictures of the cockerel (that's also the same height of their young son) with the young son playing and i think even "carrying"/holding him... probably a few more too

-Daniel

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The Welsummers I have had have been very docile and very easy of the hens. I wasn't even sure it the last one was even breeding the hens since I had never witnessed it, but the eggs were fertile. Maybe he was shy.

6. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    We just got a cochin Roo and he is very sweet. I just love him!!:[​IMG]. He is very nice to my kids and lets them hold him. he is also very nice to our hens and he lets them eat first. LOL. he is a true gentalmen. We also have a Blue Dutch Roo who is also very sweet. he loves human affection. He is a little hyper though, but i don't mind at all. I have also heard that Barred Rocks are pretty nice Roos. Yeah... RIR Roos are usually pretty nasty. good luck, i know you will find the Roo for you!![​IMG]

here are a few pics..

My Cochin Roo "Boo". He is olny about 6 months we were told. We got him from a ranch yesterday. he needed a home. I could not resist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My ducth roo "Blue" He is 2 month old. We also got him from a ranch

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    My Welsummer roo is the only one of several breeds over the years who has ever made it this long without going to that big frying pan in the sky. He is respectful of me, in that he keeps his distance & does not attack, & he is nice to the hens.

8. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I've heard that Orps, Speckled Sussex & Cochins tend to be less aggressive.

9. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Thanks for all the responses when we move I will most likely try and basically start fresh I guess, My RIR is a big nasty, and my hens are skittish and mean as well, every time I try to introduce more chickens into the flock they kill them with the exception of this last one, that I managed to save, she was pecked severely. So I will probably set up a bantam coop to go with my lucky survivor, and a pen for standards, as for the mean ones I have now. [​IMG]

10. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I had a standard Blue Cochin Roo "Bluester",he was wonderful...he was very watchful,a good provider for his hens and never tried to hurt me or my children...losing him was a big loss for my family & flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by