Docile Roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dimplesynn, Nov 4, 2012.

1. dimplesynn

dimplesynn New Egg

Nov 4, 2012
    My son loves chickens. We live in a suburban neighborhood with neighbors nearby. He would like to have a rooster as well. Currently we do have 2 buckeyes, 1 mutt, 1 wyndotte and 1 silkie (he likes variety!) We have a RIR rooster who is way too agressive especially with the smaller hens and extremely loud crowing all day from 4:00 a.m. to way past 10. I would like to have a rooster who is a little quieter and much less agressive. Is there a breed of chicken that might fit in better? Thank you

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    look into bantam breeds such as d'uccle, silkies, old english game bantams, and other bantam breeds

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    If you want someone with a quieter crow, definitely stick to the smaller Bantam breeds; OEGB, d'Uccle, Serama, Silkie, Cochin. These breeds tend to be on the quieter, smaller, people friendly, mellower side of the Bantam Breeds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*Not my picture btw, just wanted to give you some examples
    ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````[​IMG]`````````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Salmon Faverolle rooster are VERY docile! And very handsome [​IMG]

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    roosters will however crow whenever they feel the need to ;)

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

D'Uccle roosters! Soooo sweet and I don't have to worry about being flogged in my experience.

They crow a little quieter than the large fowl but your neighbors will definitely hear it.

My Nankin roos are also sweet.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    this. If your roost are illegal or a serious neighborhood issue, be prepared to go through several to find a quieter one. Or, maybe look for an older roo. My 4 year old boy crows in the am and that's about it. Multiple roos will crow more, like in competition. I don't know about bantams but brahma, cochin and faverolle roos are more docile breeds.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I've had problems with aggressive roosters and I've heard that Cochin rooster are the sweetest things. We've had to deal with 7 aggressive Ameraucana rooster and I would not
    suggest them. From my experiences my Polish rooster is the only sweet and non-aggressive roosters so far (note he's 4 months old and has shone no aggression but are roosters tend to get aggressive by
    eight months).

9. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    COCHIN!! my roo only crows a couple times a day, and is so gentle!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rsohio

rsohio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    bantam cochins are awesome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by