Documenting staggered hatch, NOW COMPLETE; PICTURES added 12-30.

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
I have (yet another) 3 part staggered hatch going. It wasn't planned this way, by the way. I thoughtI would have all the eggs the same day, to set. Well, you know how that goes!
wink.png

This is the first time I've used my new (used) Sportsman incubator. It has held the temp and humidity steady. Temp 99.8 and humidity 35%. I love it, so far .... let's see how the hatch goes now!

Day 21 (date due to hatch) for the eggs are as follows:
Dec 20: I set 28 French Black Copper Marans. Pulled 3 obvious clears at lockdown, and I believe there are 3 quitters, but it is hard to tell, so I left them in. These eggs came from Thom Dean, and are said to be pure Wade Jeane line, purchased directly from Wade (if that means anything?).
Dec 24: I set 27 eggs from Speckledhen. 21 Heritage Delaware, 4 BBS Orps and 2 bonus eggs (1 Suede & Meg's, 1 Fern's 4th egg). 3 Delaware eggs appear clear or quitters, and 2 have funky air cells & I see a "dark blob," that looks stuck on the side.
Dec 26: I set 12 White Faced Black Spanish from Terry Lund. 3 appear clear.

I have moved the Marans eggs into to HovaBator to hatch. They are on lockdown / IBW.

Here's the plan: I hope to hatch the rest IN the Sportsman. My plan is to up the humidity on Dec 21st, as needed by part 2 of the hatch. I am hoping that won't bother the 3rd part. I will stop turning part 2 and move them to the bottom shelf to hatch on Dec 21 (day 18) . I will continue to have the turner on part 3 for another day after the move.

Will this work? Any suggestions? On the humidity ... do I simply add the (soaked?) sponges?

Here are the Marans eggs on day 18 move (by the way, they really are darker than this picture shows). The ones laying down, I think are quitters:
31282_eggs_lockdown_12-17-09_due_12-20-09.jpg

Last edited:
I'll tell you what to do. There are 3 tray racks in the sportsman right? go pickup a cheap wal-mart accurite temp/humidity gauge they are 12 dollars and close to accurate. Now, put the gauge in the top tray. when the humidity on the door gauge gets to 35%, check the reading on the accurite. Write it down. Do the same thing for every tray. Then set it on the top of the hatching tray. Then test. See the differants in the humidity s? Start your eggs on the very top rack, move them down every six days, then put them in the hatcher. In my experiance in order to get the proper humidity settings for the different levels i set the door humidity around 50%. Ideally you want 35%,45%,55%,75% at the different levels. If you have problems restrict the fan a little bit. Good luck with it.

Yes, I think that's pretty good, too, with shipped eggs! I hope all that make it to lockdown will hatch! I'm hoping that if I hatch in the Sportsman, it will be a better hatch of them. I know the Hovabator isn't so tightly sealed, and has irregular temps throughout. I always worry about the eggs on sides/corners. Keeping them in the middle probably helps. I put babyfood jars of water in the corners as a heat sink. I dunno.

bjharrington1550 ...
I'm keeping my humidity the same as with all my hatches. I try for 30-35% for incubation, and 60-65% on day 18 - hatch. This has worked well for me in the past, so I hate to change it, ya know? In a recent poll, the majority voted to keep it the same, a few voted lower, and a few voted higher humidity.

Back
Top Bottom