Docusate Sodium for crop

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Wondering if azygous or some other crop expert might say how much docusate sodium to give for an impacted crop. I have the softgels, 100 mg. Do you just open them and squeeze the whole thing on soft egg, or some other appealing carrier?

I've had my buff orpington to the vet, who attempted to flush her crop but could not get her to regurgitate. X-ray revealed a big, full crop, but no likely cancer or anything more ominous. The attempted flush and subq fluids helped soften things up a bit, but something is still "off." Though the crop does not smell sour, I see her occasionally "snaking" her head. I've given her firm coconut oil with soft egg, and repeated massages. I do not see her eating much -- though she does take the soft egg -- nor drinking much. Activity and demeanor are normal. She is nearly 7, and had a crop issue last year as well, so I'm not up for putting her through surgery nor attempting it myself. So it seems as if the docusate sodium would be the next thing to try.

So ... how much and how to administer? Thanks!

You can just give them orally into the back of the throat. Years ago a poultry supply company online sold “crop bound capsules” which were just doccusate sodium stool softener. They said 2 was the dosage. I don’t think giving two would be dangerous, but you could give one and then another if the first does not help. Coconut oil chilled and cut into small pieces to peck and swallow (1 tsp) is another good crop treatment to help lubricate and pass a blockage. Water, though, is the most important thing to give. You can tube feed water if needed to clear a blockage. At 7, I would think that her main probelm could be a reproductive problem or ascites, which can slow down digestion and emptying of the digestive tract.

You can just give them orally into the back of the throat. Years ago a poultry supply company online sold “crop bound capsules” which were just doccusate sodium stool softener. They said 2 was the dosage. I don’t think giving two would be dangerous, but you could give one and then another if the first does not help. Coconut oil chilled and cut into small pieces to peck and swallow (1 tsp) is another good crop treatment to help lubricate and pass a blockage. Water, though, is the most important thing to give. You can tube feed water if needed to clear a blockage. At 7, I would think that her main probelm could be a reproductive problem or ascites, which can slow down digestion and emptying of the digestive tract.
The possibility of something more serious downstream -- and the fact that she had a crop issue last year, but seemingly recovered after several treatments -- is one reason I'd not put her through surgery. I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

Thanks for your response. I've been giving her the firm coconut oil with soft egg, and massaging her crop. She might also take the docusate in egg or in a small piece of meat, unless it tastes nasty. If I don't see her drinking more soon -- she may still have subq fluids on board from yesterday's vet visit -- I'll see about syringing water or offering a molasses flush, which she might take voluntarily.

Hello I have a chicken with a stubborn crop and I got these stool softeners since they got recommended their only is docusate sodium and I’m wondering how should they be administered to a 2 year old hen weighs about 8 pounds.

Attachments

• E3D6534E-E78D-47E3-95FB-DEADBF35F61A.jpeg
    E3D6534E-E78D-47E3-95FB-DEADBF35F61A.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 3425210A-8C81-469E-A35F-5FD066ECB7BF.jpeg
    3425210A-8C81-469E-A35F-5FD066ECB7BF.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom