Dodged the bullet

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Sep 7, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

My ducks were out in the front of the house, where they are allowed to go. They were digging in the perennial border for bugs and who knows what. Next I saw them having something. Each one tried to eat it and spit it out. So I went over trying to figure out what they had. They promptly spit it out and walked off with a guilty look. Turned out they had a beer crown cap. I was lucky it was not bend into half or they would have swallowed it. We don't even drink beer so it was from the last owner of this house. That was over 8 years ago! It was a divorce case and he really trashed the 22 acres. Took us 2 weeks to collect all the beer cans! The ducks of course found the cap. I was impressed how well intact it was. We live in a dry climate so things don't rust away easily. Bummer, because there is no easy way to find those things in the soil. No even with a magnet bar. Now I have to worry about those kind of deadly things.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Bless them, they are like small children when it comes to putting things in their mouths. Hopefully it was just an isolated incident and they won't find any more [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by