Doe anyone know a good way to keep chickens warm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Farmgirl1000, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Farmgirl1000

Farmgirl1000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Hello!
    I just found out it is going to be 13 DEGREES tonight in Georgia. We just suddenly had a cold snap and I have no heat lamps installed in my coop yet. Does anyone know if my chickens will be OK? How should I keep them warm for the night? I don't want them to freeze to death or anything.

Thank you for any suggestions .
    Farmgirl.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They will be fine if they are out of the wind, the coop doesn't leak and you have good ventilation to keep the humidity down in your coop. Chickens have their own wonderful down coats that they can fluff up and trap the warmth from their bodies.

1 person likes this.
  3. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I sure get worried when the temperature is 20 degrees below normal, wind chill in Missouri looks to be 30 below zero F.
    I think mine will have some frostbite on the tips of the combs. Lots of food to give them energy to keep up the body temperature, other threads people suggested whole grains and make sure they get some water to drink

1 person likes this.
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If the wind isn't blowing directly into your coop and on your birds, windchill is not going to be an issue for the chickens.

2 people like this.
  5. Farmgirl1000

Farmgirl1000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by