Doe just kidded and has engorged udder!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hmlongino, Apr 22, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I have never had a doe that did this before, and I'm not sure what to do. She is our family milker (milked her up until she was rebred), and she just kidded yesterday. Today, neither I nor the kids can get anything out of one side of her. She's engorged and hard. I was able to get a little bit out, but it won't let down. She usually lets down fine... and she won't even on that side for the kids! I massaged with a warm cloth. What else do I do?? I need to get this resolved quickly!!

Thank you,
    HOlly

2. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    My first time freshener did this. I had to soak the udder with warm water and keep trying to milk. One I got it started she was throwing clotted milk the whole time I milked it out and the next milking also. She kidded late. I would say keep trying.

3. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Night has fallen, and my poor doe is miserable. She is SO ENGORGED. We are talking about a 3rd year Saanen here. There's a LOT in there!!

I spent the day with hot compresses, massage, peppermint oil salve... I am worried and stressed about not making very much progress.

[​IMG]

4. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Have you checked out Fiasco Farms? I would also suggest going over to The Goat Spot and seeing if anyone could help. I don't know what to tell you other than what you have tried. Sorry.

http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/index.php

5. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
  6. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Do you have an update?

A severly engorged, hard and hot udder is a good indication of mastitis or infection. They make shots to inject right in the teat called Today or Tomorrow, but I'd consult a vet before doing anything like that.

Did you pull her kids after birth or were/are they nursing off her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by