1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does 2 Roos disrupt egg laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by honeysita, Oct 15, 2014.

1. honeysita

honeysita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    Texas
    Does anyone know if having 2 Roos will disrupt my hens laying daily. Since the second roo has matured , my hens have stopped laying eggs daily? They are in a run till noon then free range till evening. I was getting 5 eggs daily by noon. Now, if I have 1 egg it's a good day. I sell eggs and this is hurting my business!!!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Two roosters may cause hens to stop egg production if they stress them out by overmating/harrasing. How many hens do you have for your two roosters? To avoid possible overmating and stressing, each rooster needs at least 10 hens.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    More information would be needed - how many hens do you have? Since you were getting five eggs a day it sounds like you don't have that many mature hens in the flock, so two roosters may be causing an issue with overbreeding and the stress of that on the hens.
    Also, because they do free range, they may still be laying, just later than you were accustomed to and that leaves them to possibly be laying outside of the nest boxes during their ranging time - especially if they take advantage of the free ranging as a time to try to get away from the attentions of the roosters (aka hide)
    How old are your hens?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

X2 on the above posters. If you have too many roosters over too few hens, the roosters may stress them out so that they don't lay.

1 person likes this.
  5. honeysita

honeysita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    Texas
    This spring I bought 5 hens and 1 too. I wanted to add more hens so I bought 3 baby chicks supposed to be all pullets. One turned out to be a roo. Since he has started crowing this week, it has turned into a nightmare. They all went into coop to lay eggs if they hadn't by noon. Now the original hens want nothing to do with new roo and they are not laying, atleast not in nest box!!

6. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So you have 7 hens and two roos?

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Meant to add - if my math is correct - rid yourself (and your hens) of at least one roo. If your focus is production of eggs for sale as eating eggs, rid your flock of both.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Bantam Lover and Ol grey mare have given you good advice.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree with the above posters, you will need to get rid of one rooster or get him his own harem of hens. 2 roosters, at some point, WILL become too much for a few hens. If not now, later on down the road. One of your hens will turn up bare backed, injured or possibly even killed.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] also if you aren't planning on hatching any chicks you don't need a rooster for anything, you may want to rehome both of them. Good luck to you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by