1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does a bad egg always smell? I think I have later quitters

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cerise1924, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Cerise1924

Cerise1924 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so thankful that I have one perfect, fluffy chick. [​IMG] She is in the brooder now, and very strong and healthy. I had to quickly take her out because she was not drying off in the incubator after 12 hours. I was running high humidity and it remained stable when I took her out.

However, it is hatch day and none of the other eggs show any sign of pipping, internal or external. [​IMG]There is no sound, no movement. I turned two over and they are "stained" on the bottom, where they connected with the incubator floor. I am thinking this is the dreaded oozing, and I am afraid of exploding eggs.

There is no bad smell from the incubator, whatsoever.

Do I
    -remove the stained eggs?
    -leave them and wait?
    -how long before I give up on all of the eggs?

Thanks. I don't want to give up on a good chick, but with no signs of life and that staining from the bottom of two eggs, it's not looking good.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Has it been 21 days? It isn't uncommon for an egg to take up to day 25 and hatch. Give them time. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    And candle the stained eggs. Depending on what you see, you might want to take them out.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cerise1924

It's been 28, but these are peafowl eggs, so this is the due date. Sweet survivor hatched day 27.

5. Cerise1924

I candled all four. No internal pips, no movement. Just a still dark mass and the air cell. One is detached. One of the stained eggs feels weirdly light.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    I don't know anything about peafowl eggs, I just assumed they were chickens.

But, I would still give them a couple days and then if nothing happens open them. I hope you get a good hatch and all goes well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by