does a big tail indicate a roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lil lulu, Jun 13, 2016.

1. lil lulu

lil lulu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2016
    I have suspected I have a roo in the mix with my speckled sussex pyllets. A few weeks ago I finally decided they were actually all pullets. Then I noticed one of them has a very long tail that stands up a lot. This same one also has a little bigger comb but not by much.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lil lulu

Apr 22, 2016
    He or she also has a lot of green mixed in with the red.[​IMG]

3. jemini212

jemini212 Just Hatched

Jun 10, 2016
    County durham, UK
    I am no expert and new to this myself. I have 2 out of a group of 5 ten week old chicks that have tails like that and the combs are also more visible than the others. I would say rooster but maybe someone more experienced can help.

4. Casper101Popcor

Casper101Popcor Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a pullet, and how old is he/she? A better shot of the tail would be helpful.

5. lil lulu

Apr 22, 2016
    They are all around 12 weeks old. This was as good as I could get. The lighting was bad and my husband wasn't really wanting to take the pic lol. I will try for a better one later.

6. Casper101Popcor

Looks like a pullet to me, but the tail makes me doubtful.

7. lil lulu

Apr 22, 2016
    Here is a good full body pic of him or her. This one also has a darker ring around his or her neck than the other 2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  8. lil lulu

Apr 22, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. Casper101Popcor

I'm stumped on this chicken. Everything appears to be pullet except when we see the tail. I am convincing myself I see saddle feathers and sickle feathers, yet if it was a rooster I would think the comb and waddles would be a brighter red. Hmm, this one is tricky for me!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  10. lil lulu

Apr 22, 2016
    This is my first bunch of chickens so I am very stumped by this one. Especially since it is my most gentle out of all of them. I guess if it is a roo at least it will be a good gentle one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by