1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does a coop/run need to have solid walls?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cheekygreek, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Cheekygreek

Cheekygreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    Oregon
    We have a dog kennel that's covered that we want to use for chickens. My question is do we need to build a little house in it or can we just put the roost and nesting boxes right in there? We live in a mild climate, but it does get hot in summer. Very rarely freezes or snows. Substantial amount of rain. The top is completely covered with a roof but we will cover any openings with more fencing to keep predators out.I tried to upload a picture but it didn't work.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Solid walls server to stop drafts and rain, and also to block predators. As long as you've got that covered with your roof, fencing and mild climate, I don't see why solid walls would be needed.

I might buy some tarps to put up if you know a bad storm is coming.

3. patti17340

patti17340 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Littlestown, Pa
    My first coop was a 6x8 dog kennel with 4 chickens. We took the back and built a box 4ft tall 18 inches wide and hinged lid. Cut a little door in it and put a trap 2ft high on the side of the pen to cut down wind. . Our kennel had a roof . I fell in love with chickens and got 20 more so they all got moved to bigger living quarters the next spring.

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I've seen several where the coop was completely open on the south side. Mine has all four walls but thought about opening the south wall in the summer as it is hinged for cleaning the coop out anyways. Raised pigeons as a kid and their coop was open on one side. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by