Does a friendly chicken mean eggs are coming???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Margy1, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Margy1

Margy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    We found a chicken she never really liked anyone other then my boyfriend (we have had her about 3 weeks maybe a month). She keeps going in the woods and staying out for a few days at a time and then will show back up. Last night she showed back up, I went outside gave her some banana to try and coax her to stay (It worked! or something did..) She's still out there now and has become extremely friendly. While I was sitting on the front porch she came over to me and stood next to me so I could pet her. Don't get me wrong i'm very happy that she is friendly and letting us pet her, do you think maybe she is getting ready to lay and wants to be close to the place she calls home? Maybe something scared her into coming back?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello-

Food is always a way to a chicken's heart. :) If you decide to keep her as a pet, it would be a good idea to make sure she's safe at night. There are so many predators, especially if you live near a woods, that would eat a chicken. Foxes, coyotes, skunks, possums, owls, bobcats, weasles.....

Maybe you could give her a place in your garage...a little corner with some wood shavings, water and food, where she could sleep at night? Otherwise, she may wander off and disappear.

Perhaps there's a farm nearby or a neighbor with chickens that you could return her to?

Aren't chickens the neatest? :)

3. Niki Chickens

Niki Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    If you keep food and water out for her and build, buy or use some type of old box for her to get in at night and roost she will probably stay. Good find! enjoy your chicken!

4. Margy1

Jul 30, 2014
    We had made her a coop, she wont stay in it, she goes crazy. We have been trying to put her somewhere safe, we have 4 chicks as well which this weekend we are starting work on a large coop to keep them in and hopefully her as well. Will her bad coop behaviors rub off on the chicks? As of now she has been sleeping on our porch which is good she will stay safe there, she's right outside our window so we can hear her if something is after her. We are figuring she escaped from a farm or house somewhere around here. she showed up after a bad storm, but there is nowhere around that we could figure she has come from. Unfortunately we don't have a garage, just a driveway. But she is safe where she is at. We are just shocked at how suddenly she is so friendly!

5. Margy1

Jul 30, 2014
    Thank You, she slept on top of his tool box last night on the porch. I went out and took an old milk crate put some bedding in it, shes already knocked her food over once so we put it next to the crate. Hopefully she will sleep in that tonight on the porch. :)

6. Niki Chickens

Aug 11, 2014
    Yeah hopefully that will work out for you. She may be used to free ranging and won't take to being cooped up. But who knows. I let mine out every morning and they go in every night to roost and I shut them up so nothing gets them in the night. She may just need cooped up a few days to show her where her coop is and where she needs to go to bed every night. Good luck

7. Margy1

Jul 30, 2014
    YAY!!! She has answered my question! She just laid her first egg!!! Unfortunately though, she laid it on top of the tool box and it smashed on the driveway:( She's now laying in her box :) It wont let me post a picture of it :(

8. Niki Chickens

Aug 11, 2014
    Oh how exciting to get your first egg! I am still waiting on mine. Even if you didn't get to actually get it....lol It is still an egg that you know she laid! Congrats! Mine are only 17 weeks old, so I have a little time left to wait.

9. Margy1

Jul 30, 2014
    I hope they start laying soon for you! My boyfriend was out cleaning the grill and came in with an egg and made a whole big fuss about it for the next twenty minutes. It's exciting! Now I am trying to research and figure out if I need to get her on the laying feed or what she needs to keep her healthy. Any ideas?? :)

10. Margy1

Jul 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by