Does a log/firewood make a good perch for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dbg99, Nov 15, 2011.

1. dbg99

dbg99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi all i'm having trouble getting my chickens to perch at night. The perch I made them is the highest part of their house, but tonight when I put a rather large log in front of the nest box to block it off so they don't sleep there, one of hte 3 chickens was perched on top of it. Was thinking of taking my perch out and putting one small log and then behind it a larger log for the chickens to perch on? You guys and gals think this is a good idea?
    Thanks.

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Great ideal. [​IMG]

Chickens love to perch on natural wood.

3. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Perhaps the roost you made is not wide enough for their liking. also if they are still young, it takes them awhile sometimes to get used to roosting higher off the floor.

Logs or cut branches are great and give the chicken various widths to roost on.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm using a trunk from a small tree that was shaded to death for my roost. Pretty, functional, and FREE!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Teach them to perch by having lots of them around to play on inside and outside the coop and brooder box.

Perches

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Yes, natural tree limbs are great for roosts. Use them in my run and even mad a few swings outta them. Chickens love to swing. Have at least 10 girls now using the two swings I built for them. See wht ya think. It's crazy.
    Erik

[​IMG]

7. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:fireguy56, I [​IMG] your run!!!! I hope you don't mind if I show this to my DH. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Also, I LOVE the swing! I will be doing that also!

8. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Quote:fireguy56, I [​IMG] your run!!!! I hope you don't mind if I show this to my DH. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Also, I LOVE the swing! I will be doing that also!

Hey, Go for it. Lots of other folks have used my "crazy idea" of a swing for chickens. Posted it awhile back with actual videos of my chickens swinging......I mean moving their heads to get the swing swinging. It's crazy. On u-tube....swinging chickens. Anyway, simple to do and you'll be suprised how many will take to doing it in a few days. They seem to like it and I have at least 10 girls that use the two swings I built for them. good luck
    Erik

9. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hey Fireguy, We love the natural wood swing! Hubby and I have been singing "Just a swingin" all afternoon, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by