Does a pekin duck know how to make a nest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck15, Jul 29, 2011.

1. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    Does a pekin duck know how to make a nest?
    and will a pekin duck make a nest without being broody?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Pekin just tried to take over the Muscovy nest when she thought she was going broody. After about 2 weeks of the Muscovy telling her no she finally got the idea and stopped being crazy.
    I never saw the Pekin put feathers around a nest but she would sit in different holes where eggs were laid by other ducks and stay there a day or two before moving on to another nest. I never let her keep the eggs because I was sure she wasn't really broody, just imitating the other ducks.
    And when a Runner duckling hatched under a Muscovy the Pekin ripped open some skin on it's neck. Thankfully I found it in the middle of the coop before it died and she is now growing up to be a lovely Runner but I do not trust my Pekin around the nests anymore. Gracie is shown the door of the coop and the gate to the pasture when she tries to sit with a broody duck. I think she may be getting the picture.

3. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I've only owned one Pekin and she always made nests. She didn't gather things, but she would dig a hole in the straw/pine and use feathers. She went broody alot. Her house was a dog house and sometimes we had to take the lid off to peel her out. She liked to pinch us when she went broody and was a mess to deal with.

4. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    thank you both for your answers

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Our female pekin makes nest with the straw and lays the eggs in it, but once we open the coop door to let them out she's gone lol she has no interest in broodying unless she's stuck in the coop at night. We just remove the eggs everyday! I have noitced our mixed female is making nests and returning to it often in the day ( but she ends up bring the whole flock in the coop with her or at least they stand outside waiting for her so never sits long enough to actually hatch ducklings!

I wish my pekin would brood, but they are known for being terrible brooders! But id love to find one that actually would!

6. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    YES! Our Bella made this huge, amazing nest out of wood shavings & feathers. She was very broody, but our 2 boys, Daffy & Aflac would run in the house fighting & sometimes some of the eggs would get broken. I was new to this, so finally it hit me that she needed a nesting box. I bought an XLG bowl @ Tractor Supply. I have 4 other of these bowls for water & food. I was transfering the nest to it & decided to add some fresh equine pellets & wood shavings for Bella. Well I found this perfect perserved baby duckling that had hatched. It did not look tobe decomposing & had no smell or etc. I burried it. Very sad feeling. Not sure how she did it, or how she made this amazing nest! The nest could have been sold in a craft store as a wreath or something. After my finding, I filled the bowl/box with the fresh chips & placed the remaining eggs in it. Well, her sister, Trix, started to get broody & they'd both sit or take turns. This was late July '11. But for the last 3 weeks, Bella will not sit & it's hard to budge Trix. Yesterday we had 19 eggs in the nest. I'm not sure what to do with them! Should I just wait & see? One of them seems tobe laying an egg a day.
    Thanks for listening,
    Char:)

7. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Please View My Pekin Duck Post From Tuesday 8-23-11 & Accept Me As Pekin Duck Loving Friend!
    Thanks,
    Char:)

8. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I have a pekin, and she is always trying to make nests, she hides her eggs, and I have to go find them and chuck them. I dont need anymore babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by