Does a roo's behavior change with age?

Kharmel

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
I think I got a good one. He is a Buff Orp cross, only about 20 weeks old. He is great with the girls, calls them for food and if I give them a slice of bread, he'll take a chunk and and hold it in his beak for them to eat or lay it on the ground for them and will eat only after they've had some. He doesn't like to be touched but shows no agression at all to me or the girls just always keeps his distance from me. He doesn't push mating and seems to be gentle about it. Also, always on the lookout for preditors. So far, he's been great.

My question is, is this indicitive of the kind of rooster he will be when he's fully mature, or is there a chance he will become more aggressive? How early can you tell if you lucked out with a good rooster?

Hello!

He is still pretty young, so his attitude could change. But not all roosters are mean. So far so good!
wink.png
Just be prepared so he doesn't catch you off guard. Sometimes as they age, they do get even more protective of the flock and his attitude may change towards you. It's a little early to be totally sure about his temperament, but hey, he's sounding good so far!

Crossin' my fingers for ya!

Sharon

I also have a really great pretty young roo and so far so good! He just keeps getting better and better!

I don't think the roos will ever be "lap" chickens like the pullets, just make sure he has a healthy dose of respect for YOU and you should be good!

Thanks everyone! I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed:D

Back
Top Bottom