Does a roost need a ramp and how far down from the celing???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by applecore5, Apr 7, 2012.

1. applecore5

applecore5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Elizabeth, CO
    Hi All,
    My husband and I are building our first coop. We have 3 Buff Orpington chicks (freaking adorable) that are 1 week old. We are building a coop thats 4'x4' with an attached run thats 10'L and 4' W. We cannot seem to find information how far down from the ceiling should the roost be? and will they need a ramp to get on the roost? should we put in multiple roosts? kinda lost in this department :) thanks for your help in advance.

2. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

The roost does not need a ramp. Multiple height roosts are good for giving the birds a way to the higher roost. Most of my birds choose the highest roost. My top roost is only about 18" from the ceiling

[​IMG]

3. applecore5

applecore5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Elizabeth, CO
    thanks! super helpful!!!! we did 2 roosts the top one being about 18" from the top of the coop.

4. rose29

rose29 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    How high up should the nest boxes and roost be from the floor? We have Rhode Island Red and Barred Rocks. I love your set up.

5. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

My RIR and BR do not choose the highest roost. They stay on the lower roost which is about 3.5-4ft of the ground but they lay in the highest nest boxes/buckets which are around 5ft off the ground.

Last edited: May 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by