Does a rooster ever recover from a severe butt wooping?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MarkinPA, Mar 5, 2014.

1. MarkinPA

MarkinPA New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    South Central Pennsylvania
    I am new ( a year into it) raising BYCs and just had one of my rooster's get really beaten-up by another rooster. His disposition has totally changed and he is very meek to the point of where he does not appear to even defend himself at all from the other roosters. I am concerned that he may be killed by the others. If that does not happen it appears that he will be a loner as he does not go near the rest of the flock. Do they ever recover?? I had to initially separate him from the flock and am now trying to slowly integrate him back in.

Thanks,
    Mark

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have found that if you ever, ever remove a rooster and put them back in, or add a new grown rooster to a flock where there are others, they will either get killed or kill your head rooster. Even when they grow up in the flock, they will tend to challenge the others. Recently my head rooster was molting, and the other younger ones staged a coup, and overthrew him, and just banished him from the flock. It helps to have a rooster pen where sometimes several can live in harmony if they have previously been raised together, and rotate them in and out of the flock when you want to breed them. Your guy is smart enough to become meek to survive. If you want him to come out of his shell, take away the others.

3. MarkinPA

MarkinPA New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    South Central Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a good plan. I was going to separate the offending rooster/s to a breeding pen anyway. The Wyndottes seem to be more aggressive than my other breeds as I already got rid of two others that were bullying. I was hoping that the ones I sold were just overly aggressive but it doesn't appear to be the case.Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by