Does a rooster have any influence over egg production??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krzy4chick-chicks, Dec 29, 2008.

1. krzy4chick-chicks

krzy4chick-chicks New Egg

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I have one rooster with 12 hens and I'd like to find him a home. My significant other has said that a rooster helps them to lay more. This sounds funny to me... BUT....just to be sure, I wondered what your opinion is on this subject?? Anyone with thoughts??? Or facts???

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good feed, clean water, extra light, happy hens... these will up egg production.

Randy Rooster simply makes the eggs fertile.... has nothing to do with egg production.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    No the rooster doesnt help them lay more. Without a rooster thier eggs wont be fertile is all.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    A rooster has absolutely no influence on egg production, neither positive or negative.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Only thing a roo does is to eggs is fertilize the eggs. He doesn't make or prohibit egg production.

Think about it: production hens for those white grocery store eggs don't have a rooster in sight and they lay lay lay lay lay!

If you don't want the roo around, don't keep him. Your girls will keep laying and will probably enjoy the break from the constant mating. Their feathers will look better and you won't have any chicks unless you want them.

6. krzy4chick-chicks

krzy4chick-chicks New Egg

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I didn't think so, just wanted to have some back-up for when I tell him that the rooster is going. He likes that he crows all the time. I dislike him 'bothering' my girls all the time....so it's time to find someone who doesn't mind his bothersome antics....Thanks for the input!!!! (If anyone in Central VA is looking for a SLW rooster, he's free!!)

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Just an opinion but, I agree!

If anything, an aggressive rooster interferes with egg laying.

Yes, I know that it can be fun having a rooster. And, they are often good-looking critters. Protecting the hens is a possibility but after they beat the heck out of 'em, one wonders. And as Patton said, to win the war doesn't take dying for your country, it takes the enemy dying for his. My lovely roosters had a strong tendency to get themselves killed and they didn't always go without allowing some of the hens to go with them.

If you have any reason to see that rooster go bye-bye, I say put him on the bus [​IMG].

Steve

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree with the other posts. Roo's only fertilize the eggs. I have a 3 month old RIR Roo who's looking for a new home. He doesn't know he's a he yet.

9. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    The only effect a rooster can have on egg production is stress level. If randy roo harasses the ladies (more likely when hens/roo < 10), then expect egg production to decrease. Also ANY new addition to the flock is likely to upset the pecking order and decrease egg production.

Those who free-range may benefit from a rooster. Being looked after makes them feel safer (less stress) which could increase production. If a rooster saves a hen from a preditor, then you could say that he definately increasesed production. I think this is the kernel of truth in the old wive's tale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by